Given the success of our 2016 field trip to Nghe An Province, AVCF is pleased to announce that we have been selected by AusCham as beneficiary of Grand Final Scrambles in order to purchase a dental digital X-ray sensor (an EZ Sensor P). The device will be loaned to the Saigon Charity Dental team to support its work.
Ez Sensor P is an advanced digital dental imaging equipment produced by Vatech and costs approximately USD2,835. Its features include:
- Picture is immediately processed and available to view whereas film takes time to be developed. In a charity mission, we treat hundreds of patients a day, so time is important.
- Less radiation is needed to produce the same quality image as film (digital X-rays give 70 per cent less exposure to radiation than conventional X-rays). Patient is exposed to less radiation
- The digital image can be enhanced (such as altering brightness and contrast) with a series of processing techniques.
- Digital archiving—the ability to store images on a computer for future reference.
- Digital radiography produces larger photos to better source hard-to-see cavities.
- Digital radiography, though expensive to buy initially, is cheaper and more environmentally friendly in the long run and less environmentally damaging because no fixed or developing solutions to be disposed of.
- Portability – imaging studies can easily be viewed in the cloud and/or transferred to a different dentist via CD if needed. Image can also be view on portable laptops and therefore it is very convenient for us when we treat patients in remote location.
This equipment will be an essential diagnostic tool to assist our dentists to examine the anatomy of the teeth (e.g. root morphology), surrounding structure (supporting bone), disease progression and therefore help our dental team to deliver effective treatments in the upcoming field trip in 2017.